Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reflections

Yin & Yang; Art & Science

In life, it is important to utilize both sides of the brain. One cannot solely rely on the left side (logic) without any input from their right (creativity). In order to lead a successful life, both sides must be used. This is the specific reason why literature (the arts) and the sciences must be taught simultaneously. It is like the Chinese theory on Yin and Yang; one side is not better than the other- they are equally good. They balance each other out creating harmony where there would have been chaos.

I personally am a very right brained person but I cannot rely on just that. I need the left side of my brain in order to balance out my work. Art is a very tricky medium. When you go to a museum and look at a famous painting one likes it because it is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, but why? Is it just because of the colors the artist has chosen? The subject? Or is it a multitude of reasons? The answer is all of the above. Science has taught us that different colors complement one another; orange to blue, red to green, and yellow to purple. It has also taught us about proportioning things such as anatomy so that they look real in relation to the objects around them. Finally, math has taught us about geometric shapes and measurements. Many paintings (and other mediums of art) have very meticulous calculations within them along with subtle geometric shapes. For instance, in Ancient Egypt, the Egyptians perfected and came up with the idea for the human body and its proportions; they placed the human inside a grid and had specific proportions for every part of the body. Buddha to the Ancient Islamic people, when put diagonally, would fit inside a boxed grid with each detail of him in a specific place. When I do sculptures I calculate everything out; i take multiple measurements in order to create the best piece which is pleasing to the eye.

All of this goes the other way around too; you cannot do science without also implying the arts. One needs both in order to make their point and to create something sound.

The Universal Language of Art

Why France? Why not? So I don’t speak French but knowing the nations native language is not necessary to appreciate a culture, its history, and everything the nation has to offer to the world. I came on this trip to learn and visit “artistic pilgrimage cites” and to see the works which I studied in school.

Many people say that there is a universal language of love, but art is one in the same. Art has no set dialect as people from different nations, different eras, and different cultures can look at a piece and understand it.

To me as an artist, I have been carrying around my sketchbook and sketching things which inspire and intrigue me. This is one of drawings which has been inspired by the things I’ve seen, the emotions I’ve felt, and the things I’ve eaten.

Farmer’s Markets: Eastern Market, Washington D.C.

Farmers markets are uncommon in the U.S.. Generally speaking there aren’t many. In Massachusetts there is a small one in Rehobeth (on the border of Rhode Island). In Washington D.C. on Capitol Hill, every Saturday and Sunday there is a farmers market held at the historic Eastern Market (Planned out in 1791 by the great French architect and designer Pierre L’Enfant).

My dad grew up in New Hampshire where going to farmers markets on the weekend was what his family did. For him, this market is just an old family tradition. For me, going to the market every weekend is a treat, it is something which is new that i do not do day to day. In France, I perceive that their thought and take on markets is the same as my father. He believes that going to the market and getting fresh fruits and vegetables is important because one is getting farm fresh produce as opposed to frozen produce or “fresh” from the grocery store, and that the money is going directly to the farmers and those who harvest their own crops- that taxes and such are not taken out. He believes in supporting the farmers over supporting the establishment who gives the farmers a small cut for providing them with produce.

Going around on the weekends and seeing these markets reminds me of home and of a simpler time when grocery stores such as Shaws, Stop and Shop, or Safeway were not as plentiful as now. France to me is “in the past”, but in a good way. They are not as concerned with all the trivial things that we Americans are, they are happy with the necessities whereas Americans as “ready-made” consumers always want more than what they need. For the French equality is closer in their grasp than ours.

Estoy Quien Estoy (Resonating)

Comprendes que estoy hablando/escribiendo? Pues, no comprendo cuando personas hablan en Francais. Comprendo que estoy en Rouen, pero fui en la impression que fui aprendieno Francais a un level que fui muy facil pero no hablo francais. No ten classes de francais pero aprendo un poco para día.

Leyiendo lo es problemente muy frustrado, pero me comprendes mi molestadoes. hay tiempos que quiero ir mi casa porque estoy muy frustrado. A me, aprendiendo y comprendiedo es muy importante, y cuando que es no realidad estoy triste. Comprendo que aprendes idiomas muy bien, pero no me.

bueno suerte!

(Hopefully this last post will help you to understand what I've felt the last month. Though it is an amazing experience, one which I wouldn't give up for the world, I did have some annoyances. You talked extensively about "resonating" and how for sometimes people must experience things themselves to understand, for me, this is how I am helping you to understand my experience).

No comments:

Post a Comment